The story up to here….

By BruceBlaus (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0], via Wikimedia Commons

It all started innocently enough. I was working for a company that made fiberglass bathtubs in beautiful Hamilton, AL (world-famous for absolutely nothing!) and one day they announced a blood drive. A blood drive? thought I, I love blood drives!

And so I did. A few minutes off work, a cup of orange juice and a cookie, and the chance to give the Gift of Life! The cookie alone was reward enough for a little pinprick and a pint of the red stuff. As I had every time the opportunity arose, I lay down and filled a plastic bag with my beautiful, life-giving blood. Not afraid of needles–I used to donate plasma in my youth for a bit of pocket money.

A month or so later came a thick envelope of test results regarding my donation. There was also a cover letter explaining that they didn’t do this for every donor, only the ones that tested positive for Hepatitis C! I had no idea when or whence I’d gotten it. Maybe that filthy plasma lab with those badly-trained phlebotomists? I felt fine, though. The letter instructed me not to donate blood or organs. That was fine with me; I’d given the gift of Hepatitis C to enough people. My work was done.

On the slim chance that that blood lab was run by lunatics, I ran to my doctor here in Winfield, kindly wise Dr. Thomas, who observed “They did $600 worth of tests here! But if you’re worried, let’s repeat them.” They were also positive. I was referred to a specialist, who put me on a course of Interferon and Ribavarin. Weeee! Maybe I could be cured. For a few months, I did the interferon injection right before my day off, because I was sick as a dog the next day. I think the ribavirin was once a day. I took it fine, had none of the side effects I’d been warned about, was actually getting better! And best of all, my pharmacy insurance covered all but $100 of the $2000-a-month cost of the medicine!

Until they didn’t. Out of the blue came a letter from the insurer saying that my employer had switched to a plan that changed the maximum co-pay from $50 to 50%–nothing to do with me, of course, just a coincidence. I couldn’t afford $1000 a month, so I had to drop out. Later, I learned that that made me ineligible for almost all of the drug studies that were available at the Kirklin Clinic. Those darned researchers liked their guinea pigs to be virgins, treatment-wise. For the next ten years those nasty HCV particles roamed and played in my bloodstream, gate-crashing and trashing my healthy liver cells, playing hide and seek with my antibodies. Every time I bled I had to clean it up like nuclear waste! But I still felt fine.

Eventually, I wound up at the Kirklin Clinic, a part of UAB Medical Center and a mighty house of medicine. The first liver transplant in Alabama was performed at UAB Hospital! There are 4 liver specialists in the state, and all of them are at the Kirklin Clinic! For the next five years or so, all they could offer was ultrasound twice a year to see if I had cancer yet, and an annual chat with a perky nurse practitioner, and a thrill-filled drive on that Birmingham freeway, where the unofficial speed limit is about 70 mph. Once I casually mentioned to the nurse practitioner that I was glad I didn’t have cirrhosis–no liver cancer for me!

“But Dr. Whatisname says you do,” she replied, slightly bewildered.

“Oh… After my last ultrasound he did call me and say my liver was ‘more nodular than expected’. I guess that meant cirrhosis.”

“I guess we’re not always the best communicators,” she admitted. “But don’t worry,” she added happily, “If you get liver cancer, it’s super slow growing. All we have to do is do a liver transplant and you’ll be fine!”

Is that all, I thought, ‘just do a liver transplant.’ Didn’t sound like a small matter to me! But still, as the doctors had said all along, I was ‘well compensated’: I had no symptoms of liver disease, and my liver functions tests weren’t much outside of normal. And I felt fine! But it didn’t last. The liver is a tough organ, but it can only take so much. Finally there were twinges of pain in my right abdomen, fluid accumulated in my belly, shoving a chunk of intestine out of my navel, I started to bruise and bleed more easily. The old liver was starting to give out.

Finally, came the call. “There was something suspicious on your last ultrasound. We need you to come in for more tests.” One CT scan later and it’s tumor time. Just get a liver transplant, huh?

Stay tuned!

2 thoughts on “The story up to here….”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *